Spinx, the Greenville-based fuel and convenience store company, recently opened a new store at the corner of Rutherford St. and Shaw St. The ribbon-cutting ceremony was held on January 10.
This particular store holds significance for Stewart Spinks, Spinx Founder, as it was built at the same site as the first ever gas station owned and operated by the Spinx company, which opened in 1976. That first store was known as “BoJo.” In a speech at the ribbon-cutting ceremony, Spinks shared his memories of working at the store with his mom.
A Milestone in Revitalizing Poinsett Highway
This store signifies a major milestone toward the revitalization of the Poinsett District. Spinx has been a corporate partner and champion of Greenville Revitalization Corporation and Greenville County Redevelopment Authority for several years. The property was purchased from Orders Realty Co., a subsidiary of Orders Mattress Company. As a nod to this history, Spinx installed a brick sign with the name “Orderest” that reads, “Founded on this site by J.B. Orders, Sr. 11.1.1931.”
Standing at the north entrance to the city of Greenville, the Spinx serves as a gateway to the Poinsett District. The store features a full-service kitchen, tunnel car wash and eight gas pumps. It’s the largest Spinx location to date, at over 6,600 sq. ft.
A Bright Future for the Corridor
GRC thanks Spinx for believing in a bright future for the Poinsett Corridor!
To learn more about the Poinsett Corridor Revitalization, visit https://greenvillerevitalization.org/current-projects/poinsett-corridor/